The internet (long story)

15 Jan

We have been having problems with the internet for the last few weeks. I was told that routers only last for 6 months to a year and a half. Well We have had out router for 3 and a half years now. Finally we drag ourselves out and bought a much needed router (so we thought).

After installing the router friday night, I come to find out that I can’t get onto the internet at all. Great. I called up the router company and was on the phone with this guy from 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm. I was so frustrated by the end of the phone call. He of course was from India and I have a hard time understanding the accent. It made it even more difficult when he was talking computer jargen with the accent. Great! I asked what a billion times. We both were pretty flustered by the end of the phone call. Finally I get off the phone and it is still not working. It is actually the internet that is off right at that moment. Great 3 hours waisted changing numbers and changing who knows what on my computer. I know hardly any thing about computers so I blindly do what they ask me to do…

Now I get on the phone saturday morning at 11:00 am. I am bound and determined to get this problem fixed! I call the internet company and they run we through a slew of things to do as well.

They tell me to call the router company and the router company tells me to call the internet company. Finally after talking to the router company 4 times (3 males, and one female she HUNG UP ON ME after being on the phone with me for more then a hour and it still didn’t work) and the internet people the same guy 3 times I had had enough. After that girl hung up on me I call the internet people back.

I was so calm through the whole thing. “Ok what do you want me to do now?” He told me that there was nothing that could be done. I just started to violently cry. It was the worst feeling I could not help it. I was on the phone back and forth from 11:00 to 4:30 with no breaks in between. If you figure I was on the phone for 8 and 1/2 hours. I was done. 8 1/2 hours is my breaking point in case you all wanted to know.

 He told me that I needed to take a break. Then what the heck am I supose to do? They can’t do any thing for me, the router company can’t help me. What next? After resetting the router we were able to have a little acess. Great. So we concluded that the USB adaptor was at fault.

We went and bought a new USB adaptor and it worked for spurts at a time. From Sunday to thursday I have had tiny bits of time on the internet. When I say tiny I mean 2 min. Just enough time to pull up a page here or there if I was lucky.

Will finally gets on the phone with the internet company wed and says something is wrong and they need to get a technician out here. Fine it is set for friday. Now it can’t be our equipment because we have brand new everything.

I got a phone call at lunch time today saying that the internet company has been having problems with THEIR tower and that they put a new one up and I should be back online. What do you know I can now use the internet! I wanted to scream. Ok so you are telling me after buying a new router and a new usb adaptor (not cheap mind you, either or them), spending HOURS and HOURS on the phone, crying, and being frustrated, you are telling me that it was YOUR equipment that was faulty and not mine. HUmm when I was on the phone with you for those 3 1/2 hours you didn’t bother to mention that?

Well now that it is all over and done with we have new gear and the internet. I was however very proud of myself. Only once did I lose my cool (when I cried). I was kind to all that helped me, even to the guy that called at lunch to tell me that it should work. I just said thank you and was on my way. Hopefully this is the end of our problems!


6 Responses to “The internet (long story)”

  1. kay January 15, 2009 at 5:38 pm #

    Can’t help but chuckle a bit during your story, maybe because I’d heard it before. But the thought that really made me chuckle was thinking that this waffle would have been much better if Will had sneaked a pic of you during your break down, you know, for the sake of your blogging public’s benefit. LOL! Don’t you think you could have laughed about that kind of picture now that the trauma is over? Or at least we hope it’s over!!??

  2. Catherine January 15, 2009 at 6:10 pm #

    Don’t you love how something that is supposed to make life easier can make it so darn complicated at times?!

  3. hgundred January 15, 2009 at 9:34 pm #

    Oh man…I am sorry! I have been there and have felt your pain…glad you are back. 🙂

  4. Mike January 16, 2009 at 11:55 am #

    My response to this kind of help from support lines is, very politely: “Thanks for being less than helpful.”

  5. tracie January 16, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

    I’m impressed with your patience. I think I would have made Troy deal with it after 2 hours.

  6. Chrissie January 16, 2009 at 2:35 pm #

    I always gladly hand these things over to Mike because they can’t sneak anything past him and when they try he calls them on it and it is sooo sweet to hear him do so. Wish he could’ve been there to take care of it for you! Obviously in your case, the right hand didn’t even know what the left hand was doing, or how to play connect the dots. I think I’d send a nice letter to the Internet company with a copy of the receipts for the parts their employees suggested you needed to fix “your problem” along with a log of the phone calls and ask them for reimbursement for your time and troubles.

    Glad you are back online.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: